Full link: https://jobs.illinois.edu/research-positions/job-details?jobID=133863&job=visiting-scientific-specialist-map-standards-illinois-state-geological-survey-133863
The Illinois State Geological Survey (ISGS) is a premier state geological survey serving the needs of the public, government, and industry with earth science information and research relevant to natural resources, environmental quality, economic vitality, and public safety. ISGS is part of the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
ISGS is seeking to hire a Visiting Scientific Specialist, Map Standards (up to two depending on applicant pool and programmatic need) to contribute to geologic mapping program by digitizing, compiling, attributing, and symbolizing new and existing geologic map data. Position is based in Champaign, Illinois.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Migrate geologic map data into the USGS Geologic Map Schema (GemS) database.
- Prepare comprehensive and detailed metadata for GemS.
- Produce hardcopy geologic and derivative maps as well as cross sections.
- Prepare graphic and GIS files for distribution on the Survey website.
- Communicate information to geologists and GIS/graphics staff on base map availability established cartographic standards, procedure documentation, templates, and style sets for geologic maps; and storage of GIS and graphics files.
- Respond to requests for information and provide technical expertise to PRI staff, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, academia, industry, and the general public.
- Attend, participate in, and contribute to meetings.
- Contribute in the areas of education, outreach, and/or other service to the Survey, PRI, the University of Illinois, and the state of Illinois.
- Enhance the reputation of the Survey and PRI at the state, national, and international level.
- Keep abreast of developments in this discipline.
- Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.