GIS TECHNICIAN – CITY OF HAYS, KS
Complete Job Advertisement: https://www.haysusa.com/Jobs.aspx?UniqueId=105&From=All&CommunityJobs=False&JobID=GIS-Technician-130
Complete Job Description: https://www.haysusa.com/DocumentCenter/View/2193/Job-Descriptions
GIS TECHNICIAN - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Interprets civil engineering plans, plat maps, legal descriptions and deeds; conducts mapping research in the field and office; makes amendments to existing GIS data based on findings;
- Collaborate with Public Works department to maintain infrastructure and planning datasets including street centerlines, water/sewer/storm infrastructure, zoning jurisdictions, subdivisions, future development, and municipal boundaries;
- Develop new GIS datasets through collecting source material, data entry, and digitization;
- Assists in providing GIS support and summarized database reports for all city departments;
- Responsible for maintaining the City’s electronic mapping system, including ongoing updates, as well as
the creation of new mapping and GIS related projects;
- Responsible for the research, installation, and support of City related mapping and street/utilities infrastructure software;
- Operates the City imaging system serving all departments, and organizes scanned files and documents in an effective and efficient manner on the network server;
- Provides assistance in the development of short and long-range plans relating to GIS;
- Assists in the maintenance of backup procedures for GIS and street/utilities infrastructure data; manages aerial imagery and vector layers with ArcSDE
- Utilizes Field Maps, Survey123, Experience Builder, ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS to create web maps and related applications by leveraging GIS web services and APIs.
- Maintains, updates, and designs shapefiles and geospatial databases; extracts, cleans, adjusts, and converts data and information from non-GIS systems into GIS formats; uses scripts, queries, and other tools to obtain and/or correct missing or incorrect spatial and attribute data.
- Plot large-format paper maps from digital files.
- Provides GIS training and technical guidance to users and staff.
- Performs ad hoc mapping duties including advanced spatial or network analysis.
GIS TECHNICIAN - POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Experience: Two to five years of similar or related experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required. Bachelor's Degree in geography, cartography, geomatics, engineering, computer science, or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or a GIS certificate) preferred. Valid Driver’s License Required.
Technical Skills: Knowledge of modern electronic mapping hardware and software is required along with the ability to interpret developers’ maps and plans. Knowledge of land surveying sufficient to convert data for mapping and skill in performing complex map drafting, and computing areas and closures from legal descriptions and maps using algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. This employee should possess excellent organizational, public relations and oral and written communication skills. A thorough knowledge of the Microsoft operating system including Microsoft server editions is required. Must be familiar with local government GIS operations including mapping and drafting procedures. Proficiency with ArcGIS and AutoCAD software suites, and a working knowledge of database administration is required along with a demonstrated knowledge of GIS programming and scripting languages including Python, SQL, Model Builder, HTTP, as well as hands-on experience using QGIS, CentralSquare and IIS/REST services are preferred.