Menu

MidAmerica GIS Consortium

We believe geospatial technology creates value far reaching from ourselves. We are a network of dedicated leaders in the fields of mapmaking, location services, & data management.

Milestones!

• 5 Oct 2017 1:51 PM
    Message # 5297200
    Stacey Roberts (Administrator)
    Our profession has celebrated several milestones in the past few years....

Where were you 10, 20, 30 years ago?  Whether it's been 1 or 41 years, share your stories... how did you get here? 

• 6 Oct 2017 8:57 AM
    Reply # 5299300 on 5297200
    Shellie Willoughby (Administrator)

20 years ago I was finishing up my Bachelors Degree in Geography on the path to my career in GIS! 30 years ago...well, I was hand drawing my first map in my junior high geography class. I still have the map! 

• 6 Oct 2017 1:51 PM
    Reply # 5299715 on 5297200
    Tony Spicci (Administrator)
    I started my career in GIS back in 1989 when GIS was run on work stations using command line programming.  I'm not as old as you folks that used punch cards but I am pretty close.  I remember when we added 3 GB of storage to our GIS server in 1997 (20 years ago).  It cost $12,000 for each 1 GB drive.
  • 7 Oct 2017 2:50 PM
    Reply # 5301619 on 5297200
    Amber Shultz (Administrator)

20 years ago I had just graduated from KU (Rock Chalk!) with a degree in Anthropology - totally useful. But, at the same time I was completing my 2nd year at the Kansas GIS Clearinghouse, where I had discovered I had a knack for this GIS thing. Boom! Career!

I remember the guys I worked with attended their first MAGIC in 1996 - and I was very jealous. They were just "booth goobers" at the time, and now their the leaders paving the way for the next generation. 

I attended my first MAGIC in 1998 in Lincoln, NE. So the 2018 Symposium will be my 20th anniversary!

• 9 Oct 2017 8:49 PM
    Reply # 5304513 on 5297200
    Susan Norton (Administrator)

Don’t you just love your city? County? Region? State?  I’ve been participating in the MidAmerica GIS Consortium (MAGIC) for over fifteen years, representing all of those constituents.  MAGIC helped me thread the needle to connect people to people in our geospatial communities.

I met the MAGIC leadership when I attended the National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC) annual meeting in Park City, Utah in 2002. It was during that time with colleagues at NSGIC that my convictions regarding the significance of efforts to collaborate and move the issues of the geospatial community forward jelled and propelled me to remain engaged. I found a community of volunteers in MAGIC that was rich in a culture of collaboration and success. 

Join us! You can make a tremendous difference in your region, giving back the knowledge that comes from collaborating with peers.

• 10 Oct 2017 9:10 AM
    Reply # 5306771 on 5297200
    Anonymous

I walked into Taney County MO just as they were finishing digitizing the Assessor mapping.  At that point in time had never heard of GIS!  I attended my first MAGIC Symposium 2002 and have not missed one yet but as years have flown by sad to say the final symposium is soon coming.